|Tax Status:||Tax Exempt|
HISTORY & DESCRIPTION:
Although little is known of her early history, SUNSTAR is believed to have been built as an open aft cockpit twin-screw motor yacht with flat transom, and then later extended to a canoe type stern with enclosed stateroom aft of wheelhouse sometime in the late 1920s. Her engines were originally twin-cylinder Hyland petrol. SUNSTAR was re-engined in the 1940s with two Brit four-cylinder petrol engines, later changed to twin BMC 1.5 diesel engines in 1963.
SUNSTAR was built in 1927 by the well-know Windermere boatbuilders Borwick & Sons. She was first registered in Southampton in 1929 by S Landale of London SW1. In 1934 Roy Nesbit of Rustington, Sussex became the next registered owner followed by William Granger of Nottingham in 1937. SUNSTAR was acquired by Ernest Watts of Sherwood in 1942 then L R and J A Whiting of Newark in 1948. In 1961, she was acquired by N Sharples of Leeds and kept on the River Ouse, York. In 1965 Richard Whitfield of Huddersfield bought the vessel and moved her to Ramsgate in 1967. In 1968 she was purchased by Joseph Burridge, a member of the Royal Temple Yacht Club and owner of 68ft Motor Yacht TARANGA. A year later she was acquired by Roger Green of Wembley and kept on the Thames at Twickenham. In 1976, she was acquired by W Reaves of Solihull and a year later was moved to Reading, then in 1979 to Plymouth. During the 1990s, in new ownership SUNSTAR was moved to the North Devon Coast. Some years later in the ownership of Daniel Cole, the vessel was taken on to the Grand Union near Watford. Currently owned by a professional shipwright SUNSTAR is on the River Avon in Warwickshire where she is in the company of several elegant passenger launches also built by Borwicks of Windermere.
SUNSTAR is of double skin Mahogany construction, copper fastened to steamed oak timbers. Teak laid deck over marine-ply sub-deck. Teak/Mahogany superstructure and brightwork. Straight plumb stem, canoe stern, hard-chine design with straight keel and deep bilge plates ideal for drying out upright.
Part refurbished interior with some original joinery. Wood Stove and part central heating system.
Fore Cabin with two berths, saloon with settee berths to port and starboard. Central skylight. Galley area stripped back for refurbishment. Heads compartment. Enclosed wheelhouse with access to aft stateroom with provision for double berth etc.
Pair 35hp BMC Diesel Engines, believed in full working order.
2 x solar panels / disconnect.
Various fenders and ropes
Some tools and paints
CURRENT BOAT SAFETY CERTIFICATE
A characterful vintage motor yacht from the 1920s, a rare survivor from the period, retaining a good many original features and fittings. A superb part project with much professional work recently completed on renovating the hull in previous ownership. Some deck work now required and re-fitting of the interior to make this a rather special and interesting liveaboard/cruising boat.
NATIONAL HISTORIC SHIPS REGISTERED 2939
LYING: RIVER AVON
VIEWING: Through CLASSIC YACHT BROKERAGE
|Builder:||Borwick & Co|
|No. of engines:||2|
|Drive type:||Shaft drive|
|Cruising Speed:||7 Knots|
|Maximum Speed:||9 Knots|
|Length over all:||37'|
|Length of deck:||37'|
|Length at waterline:||36' 6"|
|Maximum draft:||3' 4"|
|Keel type:||Full Keel|
Important Note: The particulars / images of the vessels listed on this website are believed to be accurate but are not guaranteed, buyers should satisfy themselves regarding the same. No warranty is given as to the condition of vessel's hull, machinery and equipment / gear and an examination by a qualified marine surveyor is always recommended.
Note: Indicated location is approximate general area only.